Apply to the 2012 Social Innovation Incubator Circuit Program
Obsessed with a business idea that will make the world a better place? Open to taking a hard look at your ideas and making them better? Hoping to start a nonprofit that will generate its own revenue, or a business that will address a social or environmental problem? Apply for the SII Circuit Program!
The Circuit Program is a six-month series of group workshops for startup social entrepreneurs. The workshops, taught by local experts, cover such topics as business law, planning and strategy, marketing and sales, financial estimates, and other essential skills. At the end of the Program, participants will pitch their business concepts to a panel of experts and an audience of community members and peers. In 2011, six startup social entrepreneurs went through the Program. Click here to read more about their ventures and experiences.
To Apply: fill out this online application by November 11. Applicants will be notified by November 21 whether or not they have been accepted for a Business Planning Workshop in December. Five Circuit Program members will be selected from the workshop participants (additional info to be provided at the workshop).
- Applicants must attend a Business Planning Workshop (7:30-10 a.m. on December 2) to be considered for the full program. The Workshop costs $25, payable at the door. Breakfast is included. Laptops are required. Details on applying for the full program will be given at the workshop.
- The Circuit Program costs $350, payable when notified of acceptance to the full program. This subsidized fee includes breakfasts, business planning software, an expert business model evaluation, and additional mentoring valued at $8,000.
- Each organization that applies must select one founding member to attend workshops.
Applicants must have a concept for a social enterprise: a for-profit business that will address a pressing social or environmental problem through core business operations, or a nonprofit organization that will generate a substantial portion of its own revenue. Applicants also must demonstrate a deep commitment to their concept, a willingness to accept coaching, and an openness to sharing and problem solving with their peers in the Circuit Program. Social ventures with technology inventions are encouraged to apply.
Calendar of Sessions:
All regular workshops are scheduled for a Friday from 7:30 – 10:30 a.m. If accepted, you must commit to attending the Business Planning Workshop, the final Pitch Fest, and at least five other workshops.
- December 2: Business Planning Workshop
- January 20: Circuit workshop
- February 3: Circuit workshop
- March 2: Circuit workshop
- April 6: Circuit workshop
- May 4: Circuit workshop
- June 1: Circuit workshop
- June 29: Circuit Pitch Fest and Graduation